16 Kasım 2004 Salı

Religious Rights at Christmas

About this time each year I conduct an informal search--both tragic and humorous-- for Christmas cards that have any reference to the birth of Jesus Christ. One store was kind enough to set aside a section of the Christmas card holdings and title it “religious.” If you think about it, that’s like setting aside a section of a bookstore for books. Of course, most people just don’t think about it.



Arguing against the secularization of the Christmas holiday by our culture is at this point like pushing a rope uphill, but it is still worth fighting as Christians for our right to observe Christmas as a sacred holiday.



From that battleground comes this story from Portland, Oregon:



An Oregon school district has agreed to change its policy prohibiting students from handing out religious Christmas cards to their classmates.



The case involves a 6-year-old kindergarten student who tried to hand out a card explaining the meaning of the candy cane at a class party last December. The card noted that candy canes are shaped like a "J" for Jesus, with white symbolizing Jesus' purity and red representing the blood Jesus shed for his followers.



"We are pleased to resolve this issue in a manner that safeguards the constitutional rights of our client and all students in the Gresham-Barlow School District," said Stuart J. Roth, Senior Counsel of the American Center for Law and Justice, which represented the student.



"It is unfortunate it took a lawsuit to bring about this change -- but it is encouraging that students will now be able to exercise their free speech rights in the classroom -- including the use of religious references and religious messages if they so desire -- without being censored."




Imagine that.





--James Jewell

6 yorum:

  1. I always thought candy canes were the shape of the shepards crook. *shrugs* I personally look for Yule cards. As the date for christmas was borrowed from the pagan Holidays Yule and 12th Night

    YanıtlaSil
  2. I can’t believe that the stores are already selling Christmas decorations. Where has this year gone?! Pretty soon it’ll be time to send out Christmas cards. Unbelievable! I’ve been surfing around to see if anybody’s talking about the latest gift ideas for the holidays. I never know what to get my relatives, especially those far away. My keyword search led me to Religious Rights at Christmas. While your blog wasn’t exactly on topic, I really have enjoyed reading your posts. Happy Holidays!

    YanıtlaSil
  3. Christmas has got to be my favorite time of year. I just love to read about what people are doing and thinking. I’m always looking for some great ideas on how to make this year more special than ever for my loved ones. I’ve enjoyed reading your posts and I hope you have a great Christmas!

    YanıtlaSil
  4. Christmas will be here before we know it. My how time flies! I just love this time of year – a time of Christmas cards, gift giving and parties. Sometimes it is overwhelming. I love it though. I have stopped by your blog form time to time and have really enjoyed reading your posts. I just wanted to finally say hi, and happy holidays to you!

    YanıtlaSil
  5. I think Rooftop MediaWorks has a great blog! I've been surfing around everywhere and just love to read all this stuff. I don't have a blog to contribute to but found a place where you can get a free target gift card. I think they are limiting it so you may wanna hurry on over. the site is Target Gift Card Keep up the great work, I love Blogger!!!

    YanıtlaSil
  6. You have a super blog here! I will be saving it to my favorites for sure. I just visited a site christmas stocking with a great article about christmas stocking . If nothing else it's a great read.

    YanıtlaSil