29 Nisan 2005 Cuma

The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal

Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen writes about the film Downfall, which examines the last days and hours of Adolf Hitler.

Reflecting on the humanity and the madness of Hitler, Cohen runs into the terrifying truth that a people with the graces and skills of the Germans could, almost without missing a step, follow the barbarity of Hitler, and then becomes good citizens once again.

This reminded me of a chapter in Chuck Colson’s 1985 book Who Speaks for God?, which explores the same horror that if we look deeply into ourselves we can see glimpses of the very worst among us.

Colson writes in the chapter titled, The Terrifying Truth, We Are Normal:

Introducing a recent story about Nazi Adolf Eichmann, a principal architect of the Holocaust, Wallace posed a central question at the program's outset: "How is it possible . . . for a man to act as Eichmann acted? . . . Was he a monster? A madman? Or was he perhaps something even more terrifying: was he normal?"

Normal? The executioner of millions of Jews normal? Most self-respecting viewers would be outraged at the very thought.

The most startling answer to Wallace's shocking question came in an interview with Yehiel Dinur, a concentration camp survivor who testified against Eichmann at the Nuremburg trials. A film clip from Eichmann's 1961 trial showed Dinur walking into the courtroom, stopping short, seeing Eichmann for the first time since the Nazi had sent him to Auschwitz eighteen years earlier. Dinur began to sob uncontrollably, then fainted, collapsing in a heap on the floor as the presiding judicial officer pounded his gavel for order in the crowded courtroom.

Was Dinur overcome by hatred? Fear? Horrid memories?

No; it was none of these. Rather, as Dinur explained to Wallace, all at once he realized Eichmann was not the godlike army officer who had sent so many to their deaths. This Eichmann was an ordinary man. "I was afraid about myself," said Dinur. ". . . I saw that I am capable to do this. I am . . . exactly like he."

Wallace's subsequent summation of Dinur's terrible discovery–"Eichmann is in all of us"–is a horrifying statement; but it indeed captures the central truth about man's nature. For as a result of the Fall, sin is in each of us–not just the susceptibility to sin, but sin itself.

--James Jewell

12 yorum:

  1. Greetings!

    I am researching conservative definition
    in order to spread the word about a great new
    book.

    I'm quite sure that many of the readers
    of this blog are interested to read about

    conservative definition

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Not bad Rooftop MediaWorks, The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal is an entry that I would like to add to my site, home school books, with your permission please.

    YanıtlaSil
  3. After reading The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal, Rooftop MediaWorks I believe I could use the content for my site, homeschool . If I could have your permission.

    YanıtlaSil
  4. Rooftop MediaWorks it sounds like your school year is very much on track! After reading The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal, I feel it would make a perfect article for my site homeschool lesson plans, with your permission.

    YanıtlaSil
  5. After reading The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal, Rooftop MediaWorks I believe I could use the content for my site, home school books . If I could have your permission.

    YanıtlaSil
  6. I would like to link to your entry, The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal , Rooftop MediaWorks . It would be a perfect fit for my website home school cirriculums , with your permission.

    YanıtlaSil
  7. Not bad Rooftop MediaWorks, The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal is an entry that I would like to add to my site, homeschool lesson plans, with your permission please.

    YanıtlaSil
  8. Rooftop MediaWorks it sounds like your school year is very much on track! After reading The Terrifying Truth: We Are Normal, I feel it would make a perfect article for my site homeschool, with your permission.

    YanıtlaSil
  9. Good design!
    [url=http://xvbnzefy.com/juiz/ixdo.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://xwqwjupp.com/pwvb/fttf.html]Cool site[/url]

    YanıtlaSil
  10. Well done!
    http://xvbnzefy.com/juiz/ixdo.html | http://weksayhq.com/ogkt/eiwz.html

    YanıtlaSil
  11. Well done!
    http://xvbnzefy.com/juiz/ixdo.html | http://weksayhq.com/ogkt/eiwz.html

    YanıtlaSil